The previous post has an teaser from my recently launched book and first in the Business DIY Series - Do it yourself press releases - Helping you promote your organization. The next work I've been working is 50 Way$ to Leave Money in the Bank - For Business. The process has been fun and I can't believe how much I've learned over the years both from my own experience and the experience of others! Look for this next book to come out in Kindle first and then at the end of August.
Top ten to do and don’t of press releases
1. Do: List a contact that will be available to speak to the media.
2. Do: Put time and energy in providing a solid news story.
3. Do: Provide additional background information that adds to the story i.e youtube video, photo, etc.
4. Do: Be sure to have approval from your organization before issuing the release.
5. Do: Check all your links to be sure they work and are ready to be viewed.
6. Do: Make sure to have someone proof read it.
7. Do: Take the time to develop a quality title.
8. Do: Get approvals for any quotes and ensure the names are properly spelt.
9. Don’t: Make your press release a sales pitch – it will turn media off immediately.
10. Don’t: Abuse the press release – if you have news then go ahead if not, then wait.
All part of my new Kindle book at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DAY01W plus interviews with search engine optimization specialist and media.
I had been working on a booklet designed to help small businesses and students to learn how to do their own press releases, as it is in my opinion an essential marketing promotion skill whether you are using it online or offline. Finally, I've managed some time to get back to developing it and I'm hopeful to get it out and launched next week...fingers crossed as it still needs to go to a reviewer. I'll keep you posted as it will appear under products/services soon for sale.