1. Do: List a contact that will be available to speak to the media.
2. Do: Put time and energy in providing a solid news story.
3. Do: Provide additional background information that adds to the story i.e youtube video, photo, etc.
4. Do: Be sure to have approval from your organization before issuing the release.
5. Do: Check all your links to be sure they work and are ready to be viewed.
6. Do: Make sure to have someone proof read it.
7. Do: Take the time to develop a quality title.
8. Do: Get approvals for any quotes and ensure the names are properly spelt.
9. Don’t: Make your press release a sales pitch – it will turn media off immediately.
10. Don’t: Abuse the press release – if you have news then go ahead if not, then wait.
All part of my new Kindle book at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DAY01W plus interviews with search engine optimization specialist and media.